Henry Hardinge Menzies was born in Hickory, NC on April 20, 1928. He received an AB degree from the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill) in 1948. Afterward, he did a year of graduate work at the University of Southern California. From 1951 to 1955 Henry served up to Lt. in the US Navy on active duty during the Korean War. In 1955 he received a Letter of Commendation for creating a vital new system for tracking and reporting Anti-Sub Warfare exercises which are still in use today. After the war, he received his B.Archictecture from the School of Design at NC State University (Raleigh) in 1958.
His first professional tenure was for Perry, Shaw, Hepburn and Dean, Architects in Boston, MA. Later he worked for John M. Gray, Architect in Boston. In 1962 he founded the firm of The Architects Group along with fellow architects Vince Solomita and Joe Palermo. From 1964 to 1977 he conducted a private practice in Boston at 250 Boylston St. In 1978 he moved to New York City and formed the partnership of Menzies & LeMieux. In 1982 he moved his own private practice to New Rochelle, NY where he has worked until this day.
Henry's work has concentrated on church projects, either new or renovations. He has designed a large number of such projects. Three of the more outstanding have been: The Cathedral of St. Augustine in Bridgeport, CT, St. Aloysius Church in New Canaan, CT and the chapel of the Heights School in Potomac, MD. He has also given lectures on church architecture in the New York and Connecticut areas. He has also written a number of articles on the subject.
He has been a member of the American Institute of Architects, the Menzies Clan Society and the Society for Catholic Liturgy. From 1998 until the present, he has appeared in "Who's Who in America." He has held architectural registrations in: Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, DC, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, New York, Texas and Connecticut.